Monday, November 16, 2009

 

The stairs are in.

While on vacation, I contracted out the building of the stairs. They were supposed to be 7 risers to the landing and 6 to the next floor. I had even cast bolts into the concrete for the landing. What I got was 6 to the landing, so the window is higher than it should be and the landing is narrower. Oh well.

There are also stairs to the attic. Glad I did this. Even though I don't intend to go into the attic very often (it's not a storage attic), the $100 spent for the stairs was worth it just for the construction phase. I probably saved myself from moving a ladder 100 times while installing the DWV, air handler, kitchen fan ductwork, bath fan duct, etc.

Here you can see the shape of the stairway ceiling. Is formed in part by the roof line. Before the stairs were built, I used my drywall lifter to place the full sheets of drywall up there (about 17 feet). I also used the Genie Lift again to move all of the wood flooring up before the stairs were built. No reason to carry 30 bundles of flooring up a U-shaped stairway. Much easier cranking up the packages of wood, dropping them on to a dolly on the second floor, and rolling the bundles into the bedrooms.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?